Saturday, May 7, 2011

Panokoken!

I have been wanting to make my very own panokoken for a long time now, and since I received a cast iron skillet for Easter (thanks Matt/ the Easter Bunny!), I just couldn't wait any longer!

The recipe I used is from my friend Kelli - the one who also gave me the taco pizza and homemade tortilla chips.  Her mom is a panokoken queen and Kelli's not too bad either. :)

I was a little worried about making this because it can be tough to get the pastry to rise.  A panokoken is supposed to rise while baking and when you pull it out of the oven it immediately begins to "deflate".  There's a restaurant in Rochester, MN called Panokoken, where the waitresses have to run the panokoken to your table when you order it, while yelling "PANOOOOKOOOOOOKEN!"  (That way you get it before it deflates)  It's kind of annoying, but anyway...
Fortunately, mine worked wonderfully - I did have to rush to get a picture - but I was successful! (And I didn't yell "PANOKOKEN" - Matt might have though....) :)

Panokoken
1/3 cup butter
4 eggs (for a 12inch cast iron skillet)
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
Topping: cinnamon, sugar, Vermont Maple Syrup

Preheat the oven to 425.  Place 1/3 butter, sliced, in the skillet and allow to melt in the oven.  You must use a skillet that is safe in the oven.  I think a 12inch is the perfect size.  While the butter is melting, whisk or blend on high 4 eggs for 1 minute.  Reduce speed to low and gradually add milk and flour.  Once the butter is completely melted add the egg mixture to the skillet.  Bake in the oven to about 20 minutes until golden/light brown.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and serve with maple syrup.  You may top with anything - some people use fresh fruit and whipped cream.
Delicious, easy breakfast!


2 comments:

  1. "PANOOOOKOOOOOOKEN!" Yeah I yelled it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a second one for breakfest this morning and it was even better than this one - even bigger!

    ReplyDelete