Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter!

Tomorrow Matt and I will be celebrating Easter Sunday at his Grandma's with his mother's side of the family.  In preparation for tomorrow's Easter dinner I made a few contributions:
Hot Cross Buns
Coconut Cream Cheesecake Bars
Bird Nests

Grandma Bisbee's Hot Cross Buns
This recipe is very special to me.  My dad used to make these every Easter weekend while I was growing up.  It was a recipe from his mom and I was lucky enough to make the buns with my Grandmother two Easter's ago.  It was the last time I saw my grandmother and it's a very special memory for me.  So now I've started my own tradition of making these buns every Easter for Matt's family.

It's a tough recipe to read - Grandma never was very good at keeping track of her recipes - she just changed it every time...  Getting the recipe over the phone from her was quite the funny story.  Here's what I did this time and it turned out alright.

#1 combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 2 pkg yeast.  Remember if it's Active Yeast you need to "prep" it in warm water.  I usually use Quick Rise Yeast and forgo that step.
#2 heat 3/4 cups milk, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup butter.  Then add to #1.
Add 1-1/2 cups flour
Beat 2 minutes.  Add 3 eggs and 1/2 cup more flour and beat 2 minutes more.
Stir in 1-1/2 to 2 cups more flour.  Knead 6-8 times.  Cover and let rise 20-30 minutes in a warm place.
Turn out dough and add 1/2 cup currants.  Make into rolls; cover and rise 30 minutes more.
Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.  I like to brush with butter when they come out.  Once they've cooled, make a cross over the top with frosting, either store bought or combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.



Bird Nests
This is a cute recipe I found in one of my TasteofHome magazines. 
1 pkg White Almond Bark (24oz)
1 bag pretzel sticks (16oz)
25-30 marshmallow peeps
Assorted candy eggs

Melt almond bark according to package.  Reserve 1/2 cup.  Stir in pretzel until evenly coated.  Using 2 forks, scoop 25-30 nests onto wax paper.  Dip a peep into reserve melted bark and place onto each nest.  Do the same with candy eggs. (I used Starburst Jelly Beans)
Fun!


Layered Coconut Cream Cheesecake Bars
Also found this one in a food magazine; Food&Family.  Matt loves coconut dessert - perfect fit and fairly easy!
84 Nilla wafers, divided
6 Tbsp butter, melted
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tub (8oz) Cool Whip topping, thawed & divided (I ended up running out so I would suggest using 12oz cool whip)
2 pkg vanilla jello instant pudding
2-1/2 cups cold milk
1-1/2 cups coconut, toasted, divided

Toasting coconut is very east.  Place in single layer on baking sheet and bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes until lightly brown, stirring frequently.  Coconut will easily burn.
Reserve 24 wafers.  Crush remaining wafers; mix with butter.  (I find the best way to crush wafers is to seal in large baggie and roll with rolling pin)  Press onto bottom of 13x9 pan.  Refrigerate while preparing filling.
Beat cream cheese and sugar with mixer until well blended.  Whisk in 1 cup cool whip.  Carefully spread over crust.  Stand reserved wafers around edges.
Beat pudding mixes and milk with whisk in medium bowl 2 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup cool whip and 3/4 cup toasted coconut.  Spread over cream cheese layer.
Top with remaining cool whip and coconut.  Refrigerate 5 hours.
Enjoy!


Have a Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment