Sunday, February 12, 2012

Homemade Chinese!

It was quite the Friday at school, and honestly, quite the week at school so I needed something to kick the weekend off on a good foot.  Matt left for an Augustana Basketball game so I had the house to myself! - including the kitchen, living room, and TV!  I decided to try a new Chinese recipe.  We make a lot of stir fry's and such, and this is a take off a recipe I found in one of my Taste of Home Magazine.  Of course I added some things and replaced some things, and it turned out great!
What a wonderful start to the weekend!



Cashew Chicken with Noodles
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp peanut oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped cabbage
6 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 pkg Rice Noodles - thick would be better, but I only found the "rice stick" thin noodles
3 Tbsp Teriyaki marinade (the recipe called for chili sauce but we were out)
1 cup unsalted cashews


Combine cornstarch, minced garlic, and soy sauce in medium bowl.  Add chicken and stir to coat.  Heat peanut and sesame oil in large skillet and add chicken mixture.  Cook until chicken is just about done, then add celery and cabbage - cook until chicken is done.  Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.  Add green onions to chicken skillet and cook additional minute.  Then, add cooked noodles, marinade, and cashews - heat through.  Be sure to turn the noodles so they get completely covered in chicken mixture and marinade.
I used cabbage and celery because it's what we had in the fridge and it's my 2 favorite stir fry vegetables, but you may omit these or add something else - like water chestnuts or carrots or broccoli.

I also need to talk about these new bowls I bought from World Market - aren't these perfect!!??  The Yin and Yang bowls are perfect for our Chinese dishes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment