Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hearty Beef and Barley Stew

So last night, to go along with the awesome Garlic Herb Bread, I made my first batch of beef and barley soup.  I think the only time I've ever had this dish was in a restaurant.  In fact the best barley soup I've EVER had was at the 7th Rib in Stewartville/Racine, MN.  Unfortunately, it's no longer open, but they used to make the best steak and barley soup - I think that's what it was.  It was on their salad bar every night and I went there specifically for that soup.
So any way, I wanted to attempt my own because barley is supposed to be really good for you and help lower cholesterol.  And yes, I have high cholesterol.  You wouldn't think it if you saw me - I'm only 24, at a normal weight, I work-out all the time, and I eat fairly good, at least balanced meals.  But thanks to genetics from my dad, I can't do anything about my twice-the-limit high cholesterol.  So....I'm trying any and all things to help lower it naturally - i.e. barley.

I did use a recipe I had and then added a few spices - which you'll find I love to do!
All in all, it turned out alright but I will say, and Matt agrees, it taste better the next day.  I love how soups do that - so comforting.

Beef Barley Stew
1 pound ground beef
1 cup sliced celery
2/3 cup chopped onion
2-1/3 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes
3 tsp. chili powder (I actually ran out of chili powder after 2 tsp. and added about 1/2 tsp Cayenne)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
3-4 cups cooked barley (depending on how "hearty" you want it)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (I used the heart healthy Italian style)

In large saucepan or dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and veggies are tender; drain.

 Stir in water, bouillon, chili powder, pepper, and basil.  Bring to boil.  Stir in barley then tomatoes, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 min. or until heated through.



And of course we served the soup with the homemade bread - and please don't judge me on my place settings, or lack there of. 


Also, you will be seeing very little pictures of my actually kitchen where I get to do all of this amazing baking.  Turns out I actually live in the tiniest house in all of small town Iowa and the kitchen is most definitely the smallest kitchen on the face of this earth.  How do I do it???  I complain A LOT - just ask Matt!

No comments:

Post a Comment