Friday, February 18, 2011

Sweet Valentines!

I know, I know - Valentine's was Monday and here it is, Friday already.  But let me tell you, getting hit with influenza and a second infection while you're down for the count is not a fun way to spend the week!
I promise, the following recipes did not cause the flu :)

I typically make Valentine sugar cookies for the teachers at school using my heart and lip cookie cut outs.  I've always used a sugar cookie recipe passed down from my Grandma that tastes wonderful! - but, if I'm stressed for time, I have a recipe that's a little easier to handle.

Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs
This recipe can make about 4 dozen, give or take the size of your cookies.

1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in egg and extracts.  Gradually add rest of ingredients.  Dough may need to sit in fridge for a little while to set.
Then, roll out on floured surface, (and I always flour my rolling pin too).  The thickness depends on how thick you want your cookie.  I usually make the cookies I bring to school thinner because then I can get more cookies out of my batter.  Press out desired shapes.


Careful scoop up with floured spatula and place on ungreased baking sheet and into a 350 degree oven for 6-8 minutes.  Place on cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.  That's Matt's favorite part! :)  Actually, Matt's favorite part is when a cookie breaks cause then he gets to eat it :)


I also cheated and quickly baked up some premade cookies and sandwiched them with frosting, rolled in sprinkles.  Hey, I wanted to make a few more for school...so...sometimes you take the easy way out.


So, since I've had the flu and Matt's been sick too, we haven't made much for dinner - nothing more than Saltine crackers :)  But tonight we're going to make Tuna Heros - delicious!  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment