Monday, February 7, 2011

Superbowl Party Feast!

It literally was a feast last night!  Matt and I, with another couple, went over to a friends house.  There were a total of 6 adults, 4 kids, and at least 12 dishes!  We didn't even put a dent in the food last night and we all walked away not wanting to eat until next weekend.  But holy cow it was delicious!  I had so much fun baking our four items yesterday.  Hopefully there's a least one of them that you will find helpful or enjoyable.
The morning started with the crock pot, chicken dip courtesy of our friend Rachel.  Talk about easy - all it took was dump some stuff in a crock pot and cook all day.

Crockpot Chicken Taco Dip (totally just made up that name)
Combine the following ingredients in a crock pot.

4 frozen chicken breasts (yes they can be frozen when you put them in - Rachel assured me)
1 jar of salsa
1 can Rotel
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

Cook on low all day - I cooked it about 8 hours.  After that time I had Matt go at the chicken with a fork and shred it.  It wasn't really falling apart on it's own but it didn't take much to shred.
Then add one 8oz package of cream cheese.

We served it with Tostitos Scoops and Frito's Scoops.  Delicious!
This picture actually sucks - it's after the whole night because I forgot to take one before we left...hopefully you get the finished look idea - which is A LOT better than this.


Next item I made was the classic Better-Than-Sex-Cake, or as we had to call it around the kids last night, Carmel Cake.

Better-Than-Sex-Cake
This one is easy and has lots of variations, but here's how I did it.

1 pkg chocolate cake mix (I used German Chocolate Flavor)
1 jar Carmel ice cream topping (I bought one of those squeeze bottles - easy to use)
1 carton (12 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
Either 3 Heath candy bars chopped, or the Heath bit-o-brickle bits found by the chocolate chips. (I always use the Heath bits because it's WAY easier and the bag keeps for awhile

Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using a greased 13 x 9 pan.  Allow to cool.
Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes in cake.  Pour the Carmel topping into the holes to fill, then cover the cake with the Carmel using the majority, or all of the bottle. 

Top with whipped topping and sprinkle with candy.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.


Now, the next dessert I made is a secret recipe.  It's my favorite cookie recipe and I've made for almost everything.  My mom gave it to me in college and I've been very careful about the people I give it to.  The only way I've given it out is if you guess the secret ingredient...so...I'm not going to put the recipe on here.  Sorry!  But I've got to have just a few secrets.

Secret Ingredient Cookies
It's a pretty easy recipe - in fact I have it memorized I've made it so many times.  It starts out just like any other cookie recipe.

and then you have the best cookies ever!


And the final dish I made for our party is a recipe from my Bridal Shower last June - it was a recipe theme go figure :) Everyone who came was encouraged to bring a favorite recipe for me and I ended up with some great ones!  For example this recipe, I think it was from Matt's cousin or aunt.

Pizza Puffs
2 tubes Buttermilk biscuits (small biscuits) or I used 1 tube large Buttermilk biscuits.
1  8oz package cream cheese, softened
2 cups grated cheese (I used the pizza blend)
1  8oz package of pepperoni (chopped) or there are packages of mini pepperonis - cute!
Pizza sauce optional

Mix the cream cheese, shredded cheese, and pepperoni together.
Cut the small biscuits into 4 pieces each - or cut the large biscuits in to 6 pieces each.  Place a piece of biscuit into a small muffin tin/pan.  Press down to form a crust.  Take cheese mixture and put a large teaspoonful on top of each.  Press down.  If you would like to add a little sauce to each, you can put a small dollop into the crust before you add the cheese mixture. 

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
I totally forgot to take a picture of these when they came out of the oven - they look really good are bubbly warm, but instead I have a picture of them in the Pyrex bag we brought them over to the party in.


So lots of good food, great company, and a decent game - even though I was rooting for the Steelers - but either way, it was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment