Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My first homemade meatballs and spaghetti

I have never made my own meatballs before and this one was fun to try!

I used a favorite meatloaf recipes for the meatballs.
Homemade Meatballs
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs or Italian style bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 tsp garlic powder
5-6oz tomato soup

Mix the above ingredients by hand in a large bowl.  Form the mix into meatballs and place on a plate or small sheet pan.  The size of the meatballs is up to you - I made a little smaller than golf ball size.  Place the meatballs into the fridge to set until you are ready to use.
In a LARGE skillet, heat about 1 cup olive oil.  Be sure it is heated so when you place the meatballs into the pan they sizzle and brown right away instead of soak up the oil.
After a few minutes, rotate the meatballs.  Be sure to get a good sear on all sides.
At this point, Matt and I like to add sliced peppers and onions for the sauce.  I add these right in with the meatballs while they finished searing.  Cook until the vegetables begin to become tender.  
Then add the spaghetti sauce of your choosing.  I stand by Prego - it's delicious!  Matt and I buy the Heart Smart Prego, any flavor is delicious!  You can also make your own sauce - but that may be another post ;)


Any time we make pasta we try to use whole wheat pasta, it's a lot better for you than the regular - better for that high cholesterol ;)  So, Matt cooked up a package of whole wheat pasta and I mixed in the sauce and meatballs to finish.
Delicious!

Stay tuned for the scrumptious recipe we made tonight...!


1 comment: