Friday, March 25, 2011

Mom - Meatloaf - Now!

I love meatloaf!  Meatloaf and mashed potatoes - it doesn't get any more Midwestern than that.
Here's my favorite meatloaf recipe!

Mom's Meatloaf
1-1/2 ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1 can (5-1/2 oz) V8 Juice or Spicy V8 Juice (I've also used homemade tomato juice)
1/2 seasoned bread crumbs (I use the Italian style)
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder - or 1/2 to 1 tsp
1/3 cup ketchup

Combine the egg, juice, bread crumbs, soup mix, cheese and garlic powder in large bowl.  Crumble beef over mixture and mix well - with hands :).  Pat into an ungreased loaf pan.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30minutes.  Spread ketchup over top and bake 10 minutes longer until thermometer reads 160 or no pink is left.  I broiled the top just a few minutes to get some more of than delicious crust.

We were so hungry the night I made this, that I forgot to take a picture before we cut into it...oops!


Cream Cheese and Chive Potatoes
Potatoes - about 5-7
1 tub cream cheese with chive spread.  May use only half of tub.
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup ranch
1 green onion, diced
salt and pepper

I'm not sure how many pounds we used, but it was about 5 medium size potatoes.  I leave the skins on and just clean the potatoes and cut them into 1/3 chunks.  Boil until tender.  Then I mash by hand and add the cream cheese, ranch, and milk, along with a little salt and pepper and then use the hand mixer to whip them.  Add more ranch or milk, salt and pepper, to taste.  Sprinkle with green onion.


And that right there is a delicious Midwestern dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment